Author Topic: Mz 660 Skorpion Traveller cylinder head problem  (Read 1413 times)

Silverfox

Mz 660 Skorpion Traveller cylinder head problem
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
Afternoon all,

Hope someone can hep, i have an MZ skorpion 660 traveller 2002 and on attempting to drill out one of the seized exhaust bolts i drilled a bit to far!

I don't know what the cavity is that I drilled into, but i guess it needs sorting. I have never taken the head off a bike before so im in need of a manual, can anyone help? I believe its the Yamaha engine so any manual that covers the engine would be good.

Thanks
Gareth

Moto63

Re: Mz 660 Skorpion Traveller cylinder head problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
Sorry I can’t help with this one Gareth as I don’t know what the cavity is, bet your cavity twitched a bit when you realised what you’d done tho eh? ... best of luck 🤞👍

Silverfox

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
I've had better days!

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
Aye Gareth, one of those days, EH!

I suspect that you have drilled into the water/coolant jacket at the back of the studs.  :-X :( :-X

I would suggest a fix using some "QuikSteel Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty – Metal Instant Repair Filler" available from Frost's and other suppliers.

Here are the claims:
"Sets steel hard within 15 to 30 minutes, even under water, achieving a full chemical cure within 60 minutes. It’s impervious to petrol, diesel, and oil – even battery acid.
    Permanently bonds to aluminium, brass, copper, steel, PVC, fibre glass, plastics, glass, wood and more.
    Repairs leaking fuel tanks, kerbed alloys, and stone damaged radiators, cracked sumps, stripped threads, and exhausts. Around the home it can fix anything from               leaking guttering to a leaking central heating pipe.
    Is 260°C (500°F) temperature resistant and it is drinking water safe.
    Bond holds to -32°C (90°F)"

I will send direct via email, a workshop manual for an SZR660 that uses the same motor.

Further advice BEFORE stuffing 'monkey metal' up the stud hole should be obtained from Slipstream Tuning, in Sevenoaks, Kent. Martin Sweet is the boss and knows these motors inside out. His shop foreman is also very knowledgeable. Contact number: 01732 743248 or email: martin@teamslipstream.co.uk  the latter maybe slow due to semi-retiral!  ;)  Website: Slipstream_Tuning

My advise would be to read the manual before doing anymore 'stripping'.

Take your time and keep it all clean and tidy, clean bits as you go and label and photograph the layout/location of everything!  ;)

Use a lot of Plus+Gas 'A' on all of the fasteners before attempting removal. Keep everything in cardboard sheets, there are 15 set screws holding the rocker cover on and there are copper washers on some of them, so as not to jumble them.

It is essential that you don't drop the timing chain inside the cylinder barrel tunnel or let it go slack and come off the bottom sprocket. SteveH did this with an SRX (which is of the same design) and snapped the locating casting for the chain tensioner blade! You are warned!

For parts, Fowler's of Bristol are the best, just be prepared for your wallet to be lighter! I suspect that the motor will be a '3YF*' or a '4BW*' number as these were made at the same time as Yamaha's XT660Z. Number on R/H crankcase above gear change in oblong casting.

This is the link to Fowler's parts list for these engine models and give full exploded diagrams of components, parts numbers and prices etc: 1993_XT660Z_Tenere_parts_list

Their spares staff on the phone have always proved capable when I have called to clarify specs. or part numbers.

I hope this all helps. And don't think you are alone! The Honda Bros 400 was the only roadworthy bike of the fleet and after a wee 30 mile round trip today, returned home with a 'blown' forkseal!  :-X More spannering.  ;)

My regards, Bill

Silverfox

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
Tanks Bill for your comprehensive response, its most helpful.

Do you think it could repaired without removal of the head?

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
Aye Gareth,

Manual sent.

As for the answer to the question you pose.

If it were me, I would strip and sort.

BUT! If you use a stainless steel stud and thread it into the hole (same length as original stud) with some good 'stud lock' or 'monkey metal' on the threads, you might get away with it sealing and not having a steam/water leak from the coolant gallery. That is a 'suck it and see' option! If it still leaks, it puts you back to square one. Which is a dismantle to deal with and as the stud was put in with 'stud lock' or 'monkey metal', it would mean heating the stud to break the bond of the sealer.

Replace the studs with stainless steel ones whatever you do and if possible replace the nuts with bronze ones and plenty of copper grease. Same applies if you use stainless steel nuts, lashings of copper grease. New gaskets as well!

My regards, Bill

Silverfox

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
I think I will try the threadlock stud, nothing to loose really. Will let you know how I get on. I have already ordered the gasket kit and a torque wrench!

Silverfox

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
So I threaded the hole screwed in a grubscrew covered in threadlock then wound in the stainless stud again with threadlock, fingers crossed.  All parts have now turned up so I can start to put it together and maybe get it running this weekend!

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
Fingers crossed and best o luck with it Gareth 🤞

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
Sounds good Gareth.

Regards, Bill

Silverfox

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Thanks guys, i will keep you posted.

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 09:25:30 PM »
fit a stainless stud and a copper nut, if you buy the propper automotove studs on ebay, they come with an allen head in the end so you can screw them in with an allen key. copper nuts are also useful insurance against future issues, they will secure the exhaust ok, but in future, cos copper is softer than steel they can easily be cut off.

CrazyFrog

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »
Sounds like it's got a good chance of working. Fingers xd. 👍
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Silverfox

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 08:07:40 PM »
Nearly there with it, hopefully have it running next weekend, lots of fingers crossed!!!

themoudie

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 10:28:10 PM »
Steady away Gareth.

Bill