Author Topic: Mini thumper  (Read 2539 times)

johnr

• Regular
Mini thumper
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »
Sort of, thumplet? Thumping?  Is there a name for a smaller thumper?
Anyhow, sitting unloved at the back of my garage for probably 7 or 8 years now is a tatty Honda innovative. Now if you don't know what one is, the innovative is the follow up to the Honda cub. Single pot motor semi auto step thru. They are, its got to be said a pretty amazing wee thing. 100+mpg, 60mph cruising speed, smooth, 12v electric start 4 speed commuter. Bomb proof reliability and just a bit more of everything than the old cub due to its 125cc ohc engine. This one hasn't turned a wheel in years. But I had a plan.....

johnr

• Regular
Re: Mini thumper
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »
for some reason whenever i try to add images to this post, the forum kicks me out. ive tried a half dozen times now and every time it wont let me, no matter how small or what format image i use, it doesnt reject the image, it just boots me out and i have to log in again. just trying to see if it lets me post just words.

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:26:07 PM »
nope, id a completed project to post with a full set of pics of rebuilding the bike with new big valve head, big bore kit, aftermarket cam big exhaust, huge carb and a rake of other mods to make this a fun little scoot, but posting images on this forum is like trying to scoop air into a fucking heap so, well, i did it, and it runs but you arent ever going to see it unless youre on facebook.

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »
OK John, send me a PM or I'll send you a PM and see if we can sort something out!

My regards, Bill

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 11:30:03 PM »
Tried it again tonight. Doesn't work. So what's the point in posting stuff if you can't post pics of projects alongside descriptions. I can't even edit stuff I've already written. So, I'm not going to bother with it any more. This place has got clunkier and clunkire over the years. In the time I was trying to post a single image to this page, I successfully uploaded 300 images to some albums on Facebook. This place is just too much like hard work now. So, I'll pop in and see what's happening, but I won't post any more build pics here, shame cos I was about to start on two big thumper builds! Ttfn chaps.

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 07:28:37 AM »
Pity you can’t get the photos up John. I’d have liked to have seen the little beaut

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
Johnr,

I have offered in my previous post to load some images/text if it is PC based. If you are using Apple or Android machinery, I am afraid I have no experience at all with them, so cannot help.

SteveH has set aside time to make an upgraded site, his posted 'WARNING' is at the top of the'entrance' page.

Please, dinnae get huffy wi' us!

Good health and enjoy wrestling with your 2 rebuilds.

My regards, Bill

mthee

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 09:45:33 AM »
I second Bill - we need you here for your knowledge and evocative writing style (Silverwing sidecar memories - in Paris?)
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve H

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
Tried it again tonight. Doesn't work. So what's the point in posting stuff if you can't post pics of projects alongside descriptions. I can't even edit stuff I've already written. So, I'm not going to bother with it any more. This place has got clunkier and clunkire over the years. In the time I was trying to post a single image to this page, I successfully uploaded 300 images to some albums on Facebook. This place is just too much like hard work now. So, I'll pop in and see what's happening, but I won't post any more build pics here, shame cos I was about to start on two big thumper builds! Ttfn chaps.

John, as has been mentioned I am working on change to improve on this. Whilst the solution is relatively simple I have had to move the whole site to achieve it, not quite so simple. I am fortunate enough to still be working and as with most people have many calls on my time, as such this is being progressed as an when I have time. Progress has been slow but steady and should hopefully be concluded soon. Your patience as ever is appreciated :-)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:52:55 AM by Steve H »

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
Nice one Steve... i know how time consuming and tricky this can be, especially changing servers, which involves several outside agencies who don't necessarily do exactly what you want when you want it...

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »
i wasnt having a go at you steve. i just thought thats how the site was, and tbh it hadnt registered that you were working on the site to fix that specific issue, so please dont take my comments as in any way an attack on yourself. id just assumed the site hated me..........
not just you.......

;-)

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »
quick test....

only real before pic i can find. this little blue 125 step thru has sat at the back of my shed for the best part of a decade, paneels missing, camchain rattling leaking oil. well used and unloved.

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »
ooooohhhh, it works!!!

ok, so briefly, i fancied playing with the innova for no other reason than cos its daft fun. tuning stuff for this sort of thing is ridiculously cheap, and i mean like 56 quid for a big bore kit including a new barrel, bored to 150cc including a piston, rings gudgeon pin and gaskets.
so, i got thee big bore kit, a brand new aftermarket cylinder head complete with 1.5mm bigger valves, a high lift camshaft, camchain, gaskets, (90 quid!!!!!) a new carb, 26mm instead of the stock 18mm (23 quid)big bore stainless exhaust with carbon can(35 quid) as i said, silly cheap stuff!

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
so, this is just a quick upgrade, the idea being to have something cheap and fun to hang on the back of my old campervan, which tbh is a project in itself.
panels off and we have the venerable old innova lump,

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 09:22:20 PM »
from here its just a case of bolting stuff off and new stuff on, the innova as stock kicks out a stonking 9bhp at the wheel, im estimating these improvements should give high teens with the advantage of losing ten kilos from the hugely weighty stock exhaust. so here we have the two pistons side by side showing not only the capacity hik, but the compression increase too judging by the sizes of the pistons valve cutouts. new camchain in at the same time.