Author Topic: SRX 600 cam chain tensioner  (Read 751 times)

Peter

SRX 600 cam chain tensioner
« on: April 08, 2020, 07:00:21 AM »
SRX 600 -86
Gentlemen and others!  I hear some rattling from the engine a few minutes after starting.
Then you can no longer hear it.
I think it's the cam chain that makes the noise.
I suppose it is automatic but I was still thinking of removing the cam chain tensioner to see if I can find anything wrong with it.
Is there something I have to take into account when I do it?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:08:46 AM by Peter »

themoudie

Re: SRX 600 cam chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
Aye Peter,

The SRX600 can be a bit rattly on start up, but this should soon disappear as the oil is circulated and the engine warms through. The workshop manual gives all the advice that you require on timing chain adjustment.

May be the tappets need checking and adjusting if necessary and there might also be a wee bit of piston slap until the motor warms through, especially if the engine isn't regularly run.

The SRX600 and XT600E motors that I have rebuilt both make these rattly noises when cold, but after warming through and gentle use of the throttle until the whole unit is hot these noises disappear. Before taking anything apart, take the bike for a run 50Km at least and when you get back home take a long screwdriver and use it like a stethascope on the rear left of the cylinder where the timing chain runs and also have a listen up around the valve gear. I bet that the rattle is coming from the top end.

Good health, Bill

Aye Peter,

SRX600 kan vara lite skratta vid uppstart, men det borde snart försvinna när oljan cirkulerar och motorn värms igenom. Verkstadshandboken ger alla råd du behöver om justering av tidkedjan.

Det kan hända att tapparna måste kontrolleras och justeras vid behov och det kan också finnas en liten bit kolvklapp tills motorn värms igenom, särskilt om motorn inte körs regelbundet.

SRX600- och XT600E-motorerna som jag har återuppbyggt båda gör dessa skratta ljud när de är kalla, men efter uppvärmning och försiktig användning av gasreglaget tills hela enheten är het försvinner dessa ljud. Innan du tar bort isär något, ta cykeln åtminstone en körning 50 km och när du kommer hem igen, ta en lång skruvmejsel och använd den som ett stetaskop på baksidan till vänster om cylindern där tidkedjan löper och också lyssna upp runt ventilväxel. Jag slår vad om att skramlet kommer från den övre änden.

Bra hälsa, Bill

Peter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bill.
Just as you say, I only have the noise a short while after starting. Never else.
If you say this is a common occurrence and nothing serious will happen then I will settle for it and leave it at that.
Thanks again Bill.

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
Sod's Law may prove otherwise!  ???  ???  ;)

Sods lag kan bevisa något annat!

God hälsa, Bill

Peter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
Does anyone know what causes the noise and has fixed it?
Is it a worn chain, chain tensioner or slide rails.
Or is it something completely different?
Knowledge is not heavy to carry.