Author Topic: how would I add lights to my tt500?  (Read 1135 times)

aaron

how would I add lights to my tt500?
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »
hi all, I'm a new member wondering what I need to do to get lights on my 1976 tt500 - will I need to change anything related to power generation, on can I just bolt on the headlamp from an xt?  I'm under the impression that the tt500 will not support signals/lights without some tweaking...

guest27

Re: how would I add lights to my tt500?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »
What do you want to achieve with the lights?  Just asking because a 100/60 front lamp to see in the dark takes alot from the alt / battery.  but if you just want to be seen some LEDs can be run off mouse farts.

R

aaron

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:50:13 AM »
I'd like to make it a (near) daily driver, so I'll need to see in all conditions.  ideally I'll have more lighting power than the the xt, but as electrics are my weak point, the 6V thing leads me to believe there's not a lot out there for these bikes.  what concerns me is the alternator, the battery can be changed out for another without many problems (I hope)

while I'm hoping, I also hope the wiring harness is shared with the xt, so I don't need to mess with it.  anyone? 

(I've promised myself I won't mess with this bike for 3 months and will focus my energy on my CB400f during this time.  excuse my laziness in not pulling the bike apart to check this last point.  I'm dedicating all my garage time to the Honda, all internet research is dedicated to my future streetgoing supermono cafe...)

hondamichael

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:51 AM »
first i`m not the expert ,i had a gn400.....
dont lough i also had some old vespa`s and monkey bikes
all with 6 volt originally and realy poor lightning a candle was sometimes brighter
 and for all i could somewhere find someone who knew about a conversionkit
 to 12 volt sometimes from a later model and sometines made by some
enthusiasts in small hand made series somewhere in a shed
so it would realy surprice me if you could not finde a conversion kit for your tt 500

but be patient dont give up if the conversionkit doesnt turn up after a week

Andy M

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 07:44:43 AM »
I'd like to make it a (near) daily driver, so I'll need to see in all conditions.  ideally I'll have more lighting power than the the xt, but as electrics are my weak point, the 6V thing leads me to believe there's not a lot out there for these bikes.  what concerns me is the alternator, the battery can be changed out for another without many problems (I hope)

while I'm hoping, I also hope the wiring harness is shared with the xt, so I don't need to mess with it.  anyone? 

(I've promised myself I won't mess with this bike for 3 months and will focus my energy on my CB400f during this time.  excuse my laziness in not pulling the bike apart to check this last point.  I'm dedicating all my garage time to the Honda, all internet research is dedicated to my future streetgoing supermono cafe...)

Where is your daily ride?

In Mid Wales you'll need the conversion kit so you can run a 55/60 headlamp as a minimum. If you can complete any journey you have to make on lit roads, how about headlamp bits from something 6V like a CB100 and the rest LED's. It'll pass a full MOT so if you feel safe and can see, plod can't get you.

Take a look at http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/ He does a battery monitor. Little LED thing that you fit to the bike. Goes red or yellow if the lights are beating the alternator. Vehicle wiring products are good for the rest of the bits except maybe a headlamp shell.

Andy

hondamichael

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:28:44 PM »
good idea (the one with the led`s they are legal you get them for rear /break/indicators
and run  a 6 volt halogen bulb at the front , not as bright as 12volt 60/55 but better then the original 6 volt bilux

here a website that offers 6 volt halogen bulbs
http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/hodge?opendocument&part=7