Author Topic: Project? Well sort of.  (Read 903 times)

Itsme

Re: Project? Well sort of.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 06:43:31 PM »
Hi Ian. Sorry to hear your XBR is not playing fair. I hope the new CDI does the trick. These things are so frustrating as it could be something very simple and minor, but finding it can be the Devil's own job. Also I honestly wonder if bikes sulk when we tinker with them and they don't like it.

Don't worry about losing your touch, we all have off days. I looked for a rattle that had developed on the front of the Mighty Midget for ages before I noticed one of the caliper mount bolts was missing!

Ian

CrazyFrog

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2023, 07:20:39 PM »
The obvious answer is to ride a Jawa or MZ. All the rattles cancel each other out ;D
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Moto63

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2023, 07:26:29 PM »
The obvious answer is to ride a Jawa or MZ. All the rattles cancel each other out ;D
No please stop it, my broken ribs still hurt when I laugh to much 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
This post should have been in the humour section 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Itsme

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 06:33:02 AM »

Ah how fondly I remember those days of rattling along.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2023, 11:00:30 AM »

An early form of noise-cancelling headphones?

Ian was kindly asking about the XBR. After much toing and froing I've discovered that the little wiring harness I was sent with the Dutch item as wrong. I've had to break a wire in the loom which feeds 12V DC to the original CD box when starting - no idea why - and change that to an earth as well as swap 2 connectors over. And it now starts and seems to run well. Road test will have to wait.

In slightly other news the cheapo unit from ebay - a massive £10.56 for CDI, coil and plug! arrived so I thoughtI'd try that. It seems to work just as well so I could have saved myself £100. Emboldened by this I've ordered a Mikuni copy carb for £15 to - temporarily perhaps - replace the worn Monobloc on the Tri-Grreves. And have just got a new tube so out to fit it now.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2023, 07:24:11 AM »
Hi Ian

Well done for sorting the wiring, sounds a bit complicated to me. I thought I'd mention that I tried a cheap CDI for the Mighty Midget and it did work fine, however occasionally the bike started with a bit of a knock as though the timing was a bit advanced. When running the Midget seemed happy and even seemed to give a bit more power.

Also I would imagine you have seen a video channel on Youtube by a man called Hugh Ferrer who restored a C15. He fitted an Indian Mikuni copy to the BSA and I can't remember the results but it might be worth looking up.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 08:56:36 AM »
I'll have a look for that Ian. New tube fitted and holding air. For some reason the tyre, which was very hard to fit first time round, went on quite easily. Maybe it has softened up by being in my garage - a bit like me......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2023, 09:48:51 AM »
Brilliant result that, £10 for a CDI. As you say, there's only one way a CDI can work so they're probably all very similar.

I've noticed that the front end of my 'Zuma is noticeably affected by hitting stones and other minor road debris. I've put it down to the OE tyres, but it could be something to do with the geometry I guess. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and otherwise the thing is well planted and handles well enough for my meagre talents!

I'm currently sitting in Warwick drinking a coffee and basking in the sunshine and reflected glow of a brand new shiney MOT for the Zuma. Mileage has now reached 4000.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:54:11 AM by CrazyFrog »
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »
I like Warwick, there's a nice old-style cafe just round the corner from your pic.

Ian - found the youtube (when I realised it was Ferrier not Ferrer!). Quite interesting although he didn't persevere and I noticed he thought the idle screw controlled air (as it does on Amals) not fuel. I found some other channels dissecting these carbs and am amazed at the intricacy and low prices - which I don't think can be solely or even largely attributable to low wages. I expect some of these factories have invested heavily in CAD, injection moulding and robotics so it's easy to produce clones of Mikuni and other carbs.

If I showed the CDI and coil to anyone and told them they cost £100 I think they'd believe me.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 09:49:03 AM »
Hi Gents

Pete, glad the 'Zuma is to your taste as I do like the way mine runs, just not the way it handled with the original, heavy fairing on. Now I have got rid of that it even seems lighter to push around the garage.
Ian, glad you are having more luck now. I must wear my glasses when looking at words on the internet!

Ian