Author Topic: Wetton 5th - 7th March  (Read 1278 times)

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
Wetton 5th - 7th March
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
I know it's short notice but big Mark has now got his new panniers and I've set him the challenge to just have the panniers and one Stuffa bag on his bike. As a test we intend to go to Wetton this weekend on the Friday evening and stay until Sunday. I have suggested to him that we have a little pootle to Buxton to see the bike museum there.

Anyone else interested? ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:28:38 PM by Steve H »
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

guest7

Re: Wetton 5th - 7th March
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
Bugger! I've already arranged to go to Simon's this weekend with my brother. What a bloody shame.

GC

jules

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »
Cant make it sorry Steve,
but some photos and a short ride report would be nice ;)

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Will do Jules, I just want to see if the big fella can travel a bit lighter as we are planning a weeks camping, trailing, wild camping in the Southern Uplands / Dumfrieshire area later this year. :P

(.....and I've figured out how to use this photobucket malarky!) ::)

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
(.....and I've figured out how to use this photobucket malarky!) ::)

Surley a camera would be easier.....even a Box Brownie !

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

jules

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:52 AM »
we are planning a weeks camping, trailing, wild camping in the Southern Uplands / Dumfrieshire area later this year. :P

Ooh that sounds interesting,
any ideas where and when ::)

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
we are planning a weeks camping, trailing, wild camping in the Southern Uplands / Dumfrieshire area later this year. :P

Ooh that sounds interesting,
any ideas where and when ::)

Sometime in May as a provisional. Alan will be along as well (I'm, trying to get him to get a bigger tank!) It's still at the planning stage and I need to get map routes of trails and a few ideas for camping spots.

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »
Just about to pack. Have been in touch with the Pub at Wetton and all is OK to use the site behind the pub.
Come along for a beer if you can! ;D

........and it's sunshining here!

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
Well what a weekend. Set off about two ish and had a lovely ride down to Wetton using the GPS on 'Goat track' mode. Mark was already there and we made camp.

Johno turned up and it was apparent that he had done a few more tuning mods! Note how to make good use of sulplus visors!

We had a rather pleasant evening in the pub where as usual copious amounts of alcohol were consumed and verbal hilarity ensued.
We got back to the shanty town and had superb toast and cheese.............and more booze!

Evidently it was cold during the night but it didn't bother us as we had the charcoal burner well alight and burning brightly. A good nights sleep was had.

Up early ish and a good breakfast of porridge and bacon butties all washed down with buckets full of tea.
Then Johno had to go as he had a previous appointment (read he had to take his girlfriend out on the evening)

Mark and I decided to get on the road and go over to Bakewell to see the motorcycle museum there.
Unfortunately it was closed and only opens on certain dates. But we had a good walk around and had a nice coffee there and did a bit of shopping for dinner later on.
We got back on the bikes and just set off trying to keep off the beaten track and did about 60 miles using my GPS, again on Goat track mode. Hardly saw another vehicle all afternoon and had a brilliant ride, mostly in the sunshine.
Obviously it had been quite snowy there and the cold air was not going to let this little lot melt!

I recon that was about 10 feet high!

Made parking the bike easy as well!

Got back to Crusty / Dalby shanty town and got the burners going to cook the steak that we had bought in Bakewell. The steak was soooooo big that I had to cut it in two to cook!

Now that's food!

Had a good fill of beautifully cooked steak and olives and sundried tomatoes and fresh bread and a bottle of wine. Then down to the pub where Selina and Andy had turned up for a few beers. Another jovial nights entertainment and later back to team shanty for a bit of a night cap.

Another very cold evening but as usual we had plenty of charcoal to keep us warm and onother good nights sleep was had.
Up early for another stonking breakfast of porridge and bacon butties and the usual tea.

Started to decamp and then Dave and Pat K turned up on another of their Sunday jaunts, had a good natter and when they left we continued to pack up. Sun was very warm but the air still cold.

Mark led the ride out home and we left to go our seperate ways after about 10 miles of more sunshine and empty roads. All in all an excellent weekend, plenty of good food , beers and good compant.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

guest7

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
Bloody hell Steve, it looks like you pulled a corker of a weekend out of very short notice.

Glad you had a gas.

GC

Mark

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
Looks like you had a good 'un. Gutted I had a prior arrangement.

You'll have to give more notice next time.

Mark
There exists a set of people who believe 2>4

jules

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:28:08 AM »
Top stuff Steve,Crusty
great pictures as usual,a lot of people wouldn't even venture out on their bikes in this cold snap we are having,well done guys,
i hope the weather is as cold this weekend at Llanthony,i doubt very much there will be as much snow :o,hope to see you both there.

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »
Oooooeeerrrr! Didn't know about Llanthony this weekend.

I've got a free camp on top of the moors organised for this weekend and Crusty is saving his pennies for upgrading even more gear and a week in the Borders a bit later.

Have a good time, drink for the Yorkshireman and post a few piccies, hey and remember 'go safe out there' ;D

PS the cold seems to keep the Ninja turtles away!

jules

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:17 PM »
Oooooeeerrrr! Didn't know about Llanthony this weekend.

Well that will be my fault because ive put the wrong month :-[,it should have been March not May,in my defence they both start with Mmmmmm :-[

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »
Muppet ::).....and I had that weekend pencilled in in my diary, now I need to get something else organised for May, hmmmmm perhaps? ;D