Author Topic: Welsh national rally  (Read 761 times)

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
Welsh national rally
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
Anyone going to the Welsh National Rally?

http://www.clivemcc.co.uk/wnr.htm

Reckon I might
Live long, live well, live happy

robG

Re: Welsh national rally
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
Could be fun, Pat.Having had a look via the above link , I'm struggling to see what's challenging about the sat nav challenge though ?

I've lost my coat and can't find the door  ???

Rob .

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »

I've had a stamped envelope and cheque on my desk for months now thinking about it.  Wouldn't fancy doing it with a Sat Nav though as (a) I don't have one and (b) it sort of takes the challenge away doesn't it ?

Question would be - Beemer or XT.

Richard
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
To my mind, satnav's at these kind of events sort of defeats the point totally. The idea of this and similar events is to encourage people to get out and explore. It isn't a race or something to complete and get your prize.
For my money, the planning and the 'on the day' navigation is what it's all about. And yes, I fully expect to get completely lost, so all non attendees please stand by your maps and keep your phones switched on. ;D
Live long, live well, live happy

robG

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »
Never having done this ,I've always fancied this .I'm going to check my dates in work and will have a better idea then .
Can someone PM me and give me an overview of the event.

Ta ,

Rob .

Andy M

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »
To my mind, satnav's at these kind of events sort of defeats the point totally. The idea of this and similar events is to encourage people to get out and explore. It isn't a race or something to complete and get your prize.
For my money, the planning and the 'on the day' navigation is what it's all about. And yes, I fully expect to get completely lost, so all non attendees please stand by your maps and keep your phones switched on. ;D

Depends if the rally organisers expect GPS to be used. The last couple of National Rallies I did would have had very limited route options if you wanted a decent award level, a run that wasn't all motorway and any chance of finishing in bad weather. The services on the M6 and the cafe's where the A14/A15/A16 cross are pefectly possible without GPS, (especially as they've used the same checkpoints for the last ten years in my knowledge).

The bike club off an unclassified, un-named, un-marked, unlit road at the back of trading estate in Corby was only found via their website, google earth and pre-programmed GPS. The instructions were written by someone who knew where it was but probably couldn't desribe their own front room! In this case, as it had no real post code, the skill was in using whatever option you chose. I brought in four other riders (they followed as I looked to know where I was going), one of whom had been following his GPS to the nominal post code for the previous hour. GPS used in this way is no different from a rolling map set up really.

Andy

Dave#22

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »
Can someone PM me and give me an overview of the event.
Hi Rob, I've done the Welsh Rally for the last 4 or 5 years. You are given a map of Wales with about 40 locations and 6 manned locations, so say a bronze award is 8 locations, silver 10, gold 12 and platinum 14, allowing  you to plot your route, including 3 manned before the start, so that when you sign on you then receive the questions to which you must find the answers to write on your rally card and attend the manned points within a time period......but it's not a race......like he*l it's not.
Last year Pat & I got the platinum and the Dragon award (another 4 locations) taking over 12hrs and covering nearly 400mls and we were the first back(with platinum)at 8.30pm....a long day on mainly B roads.
    Good luck
      Dave

robG

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
Thanks Dave , sounds a laugh .I'll see what myself and the Triumph are doing around then .

Rob .