Author Topic: Carb Placement  (Read 314 times)

guest1406

Carb Placement
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
For a project bike i have to squeeze a carb in somewhere. Does the carb have to sit higher/near straight with the inlet manifold (area 1)or can it be lower (like in number 2s area)? Or would lower create problems such fuel flow and air/mixture travel?

Sorry if its a silly question.

Cheers,

Mackenzie

[deleted to save space]

iansoady

Re: Carb Placement
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
Ideally you want a straight line between the carb and the inlet valve - hence downdraught carbs on Velo Thruxtons and the like. The more tortuous the route, the more chance there is of the mixture going awry as it wends its way round all the bends.

Having said that, it would probably work after a fashion almost anywhere. How about fuel injection?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1965 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Propellor

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:08:35 PM »
Ideally you want a straight line between the carb and the inlet valve - hence downdraught carbs on Velo Thruxtons and the like. The more tortuous the route, the more chance there is of the mixture going awry as it wends its way round all the bends.

Having said that, it would probably work after a fashion almost anywhere. How about fuel injection?

Agreed. It's not really the "lift up" that'd be the main issue but the horendous flow path, essentially 180 degrees. That's totally against text book! Your photo of a bike with a side mounted car,  while not brilliant, is better than moving it so far down.

Other possibilities might be sculpting the tank. Remote float chamber, or maybe a wal Philips carb, but I have no idea how successful that'd be!

What's getting in the way?
BEIGE is all the rage

guest1406

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »
Propeller thats the bike im talking about, was just wondering if moving the position of the carb would be better or worse for it.

I take it as a no go then and stay side mounted

I wanted to change the carb because ive got a brand new lectron (a year ago) on it and it gave me nothing but headache could not get it running. even though it was a "spec built carb" from lectron that was designed to be plug and play! But ive got another stock rebuilt gn400 carb (engine is GN250 with 300 barrel and piston) that i want to try on it. But its a bit bigger and heavier.

Cheers

Mackenzie