Author Topic: Honda Dominator starting  (Read 289 times)

timbo

Honda Dominator starting
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
A friend in my local club is having problems with his Dommie starting. Though he told me that when he turns on the ignition, the engine turns over, even with the kill switch OFF. So I tried the same on mine, and same thing, the engine turns over, even with the kill switch OFF. I find this very strange, as in past experience, any bike I've had, will do absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, when the switch is OFF  :o. All comments very welcome.
As for his not starting problem, we think its the CDI, so ill lend him mine to try.
Namaste

Propellor

Re: Honda Dominator starting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:08 AM »
A friend in my local club is having problems with his Dommie starting. Though he told me that when he turns on the ignition, the engine turns over, even with the kill switch OFF. So I tried the same on mine, and same thing, the engine turns over, even with the kill switch OFF. I find this very strange, as in past experience, any bike I've had, will do absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, when the switch is OFF  :o. All comments very welcome.
As for his not starting problem, we think its the CDI, so ill lend him mine to try.

The xbr ignition is different to your average road bike. It's like an off road bike. The ignition circuit is idependent of the battery circuit (and therefore the starter motor). They've probably just rigged a switch which earths the ignition dead. I am kinda guessing though!  ???
BEIGE is all the rage

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
Looking at my SLR wiring diagram, the stop switch (as its name implies) just cuts current to the coil and CDI in order to stop the engine rather than disable everything else.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1965 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

timbo

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »
Thanks folks  :)
Namaste