Author Topic: CB250RSA Rocker Shaft removal  (Read 409 times)

Dick Scratcher

CB250RSA Rocker Shaft removal
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
Hello all, I've got a 1980 Honda CB250RSA which has passed through several 'butchers' hands before me (1/4" w. bolts forced into 6mm threads ?, many helicoils) and I have a problem of oil leaks from the rocker spindles. These are secured in the cam-cover by pressed-in dowels which according to the factory manual can be removed by grinding a 'V' in the side of the dowel and then driven out by a 'suitable', i.e. an old screwdriver and hammer, drift. In reality it doesn't work like that because of access you're actually driving them virtually sideways. A previous owner (?) has had a bash because these recommended 'V's are already there plus various other buckshee grinding marks caused by clumsy use. He might have succeeded in removing them, replaced the sealing "O" rings and put back the original dowels possibly using 'Loctite' or similar concoction to avoid buying new, I don't know, but I doubt if he achieved anything at all other than causing avoidable damage.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience of doing so, as to how I might manage to draw these little blighters out successfully without ruining the top end of my motor. Thanks in anticipation.

Steve H

Re: CB250RSA Rocker Shaft removal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:32:40 AM »
From memory (and its a long time ago) I had some stud welded onto the end of the pins and then attached this to a makeshift slide hammer.

Dick Scratcher

Re: CB250RSA Rocker Shaft removal
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
Now that does sound reasonable and workable, perhaps some 6mm threaded rod welded on and a fabricated tubular 'distance' piece plus a 'hot air' gun playing on the back of the cam-cover, sounds good to me. Got to find a capable welder locally whose prepared to do the business. Going on a couple of weeks holiday shortly, will tackle on return. Thanks Steve H., much appreciated.