Author Topic: Rusty chrome rims  (Read 312 times)

timbo

Rusty chrome rims
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
So anyone have any tips on cleaning up rusty chrome rims. Ultimitely I would strip the wheel, and get the rims blasted and painted, but I just want to give them a clean up for now. What about the cola and tinfoil thing? Does that work? Or vinegar? Open to all suggestions.
Namaste

CrazyFrog

Re: Rusty chrome rims
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »
I've used the aluminium foil and water technique in the past and it does work to an extent. It'll remove all the surface rust and just leave the pitting. It's damned hard work though and if you're going to replace the rims eventually anyway, I'd probably just use fine steel wool and Autosol as it's much quicker! HTH.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
I've never had much success with the steel wool approach. Probably because I couldn't be bothered to give it the necessary effort.

One tip - use stainless rather than the ordinary stuff otherwise all your hard work will be in vain.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »
Aye Tim,

Rub over with a wire brush to get rid of the flaky stuff, degrease with Jizer and then a rub down with a thinners soaked rag. Now brush paint with a smooth hammerite colour of your choice. Maybe red if it is for the small USSR machine!  ;D  After all it is a decorative utilitarean approach for a utilitarean machine.  ;) 

If the utilitarean approach "full stop" is required, then do nothing apart from clagging the rim with a good dose of 150W steam cylinder lubricating oil, warmed over your waste oil stove to a brushing consistency. Once hardened this stuff is only pervious to warm paraffin and Jizer attack or a steam cleaner.  ::)

The latter technique should rapidly produce a "designer chic patina"   :-X  after a few outings on NI dairy cow/tractor travelled highways and bi-ways at this time of year!  ;D

Batten down the hatches for 'Babs' and have a grand festive, Bill