Author Topic: Down to London (song from Joe Jackson)  (Read 1280 times)

SRXweb

Down to London (song from Joe Jackson)
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
I am forecasting to come to London for sightseeing in a few months with my family and I'd like to go to the Ace Cafe.

Any good suggestion for the best way to go there from Trafalgar Square (bus, tube, taxi, horse cab, ...) ?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:09:04 PM by SRXweb »

guest40

Re: Down to London (song from Joe Jackson)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:16 AM »
Buy an old banger and abandon it before you leave, providing its not stolen before then!

guest564

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
Unless you have a motbke then I think the tube is the best way to get around but the bus might be afford more of a view. I was a London despatch rider back in the 80s/90s, during that time the Albert memorial was covered in scaffolding and plastic sheeting, I actually got to see it a couple of months back - its really quite impressive.

SRXweb

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »
Buy an old banger and abandon it before you leave, providing its not stolen before then!

Pretty good idea but I thought that old cars were banned from the city.

I prefer bangers with beans and a good beer.

SRXweb

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Unless you have a motbke then I think the tube is the best way to get around but the bus might be afford more of a view. I was a London despatch rider back in the 80s/90s, during that time the Albert memorial was covered in scaffolding and plastic sheeting, I actually got to see it a couple of months back - its really quite impressive.

That's what I have in mind. I know that London is a big european capital but do buses and tube still run during the night ?

I have still the solution to steal a Bonnie or a Commando lying there to go back to my hotel, but I am not a thief.

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:16:38 AM »
The tubes do stop at night.  There is a restricted overnight bus service that is basically designed to get people away from the centre late, somehow I usually ended up walking a long way.

Day time its tubes for speed and buses for convenience.  Get yourselves an Oyster Card and use the buses as one might a walkway - they go everywhere and are very frequent.

To be honest I struggle to think of a tube station very close to the Ace, I used to work nearby many years ago and always went by overland train.

I'd use the bus and see something.
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

SRXweb

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
OK, thanks a lot.

I will check on google Maps. And I am sure that "there's an App" for the London Tube.

Andy M

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
Stonebridge Park (one before Wembley heading out of the city) on the Bakerloo line if memory serves. The tube starts to run down at about 10 pm and is closed just after midnight. The night buses are fine if you are studying the effects of Snakebite and Black/watered shandy and other Southern "Entertainments"  ;D

Andy

honderosa

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Take the Bakerloo Line from either Charing Cross, Piccadilly Circus or Oxford Circus, should be straight through to Stonebridge Park tube station. Then its about a 10 minute walk.
For tube details Google "Transport for London" or tfl, all the maps and info are there.
The Ace Cafe is marked on Google maps as is Stonebridge Park station.
Hope this helps.

SRXweb

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Thank you all for these precious advices.
I think that you unfortunately won't fit in my iPhone  :o