Author Topic: XBR weird handling?  (Read 808 times)

mthee

XBR weird handling?
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
So I'm googling around for a bar end mirror, when I come across this site where the author claims to have owned an XBR for 85k miles and describes the handling as "weird", with no explanation. Justified? Does the XBR have handling foibles, or was his set up badly? (he's promoting the 600 divvy as the ultimate all rounder)
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

SteveC#222

Re: XBR weird handling?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »
If it's set up right an XBR handles very well, better than a lot of other bikes. The only foible is the swingarm bushes which can wear as they are only plastic- best replaced with phospher bronze ones - that said I've never replaced mine. Even the original FVQ ( Fade Very Quickly) rear shocks seem to last forever. Could have been mismatched tyres or maybe a leaking fork oil seal has left one leg low on oil, maybe loose head or wheel bearings?
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

mthee

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
Good info, thanks. We're into May at last and I'll be finding out for myself soon enough. You've reminded me that the first job will be to replace that Cougar on the front with a BT45 to match the rear. I also used wemoto for a motobatt AGM battery (as they were also cheapest) which should arrive Tuesday.

manxie

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
The 600 Divvy is a good all rounder, but most multi`s are pretty good. The XBR`s I`ve had in the past handled lovely, very flickable, and great fun. I`m sure you`ll love it  ;)
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit
1978 Bultaco Sherpa project (not started)
1968 Kawasaki F3 175 Bushwhacker (project in progress)

mthee

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »
So whilst I'm trying a big single for the first time, I thought I'd also give an open face helmet a go. Like this one;

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/233565

SteveC#222

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
I must admit I've looked at open face helmets several times for summer riding but then I think flies in y'er teeth bees up y'er nose and think maayybee not.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

mthee

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
Maybe this one then? Reviewers are saying it gives an increased field of vision over full face.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/70673

Smithy

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
My XBR handled beautifully, light and easy to turn. Unlike my 1100 BMW which is a monster (and also ome of the main reasons I'm selling it). Small, lightweight frames with torquey motors get my vote every time.

As for open face helmets, grow a bushy beard and wear specs, sorted!

Ian

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »
but handling is a very subjective thing. one mans unrideable barge is another mans rapier racer. if youre used to old brits with plunger frames or rigids or undamped forks, then anything made after 1970 will have strange handling. ditto if your biking cv is jap sports bikes then the flickable skinny xbr will seem like a moped. his xbr might have been perfectly sound, but he may have been comparing it to something with completely different characteristics.

mthee

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
I can't help thinking that 85k miles is an awful lot of "weird handling". Personally, I would have moved on ( but not to a divvy!)

timbo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
I'm a recent convert to open face helmets. Get that fresh air feeling  ;) Plus cheap safety glasses from Screwfix, and a beard for a bit warmth, and to catch the flies  :)
Namaste

Moto63

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Evening chaps, yes I like the open face lid thing and spent approx the first three years of my biking life wearing nothing but an orange stadium open face complete with small black peak, 365 days a year riding back then (before I passed my car test) oh that "fresh air feeling"  ;) ;) I also now own a davida open face which is mega quality, however it have to say I'm pretty glad I was wearing my arai full face helmet when I had my accident, as once it was returned to me it is in a right state and most of the damage is across the frontal area. Visor gone, visor mounts smashed off and if I'd av been wearing. An open face , I seriously don't think I'd av much of a face left and if I did my handsome good looks  :) :) :) certainly wouldn't be the same. Just food for thought really I'm certainly not trying to scare monger as I realise it's an odds thing as to wether you'll ever actually NEED a helmet.
Cheers...Michael

manxie

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:51 PM »
Hey Matt. Just wondering how you got on looking for bar end mirrors, any luck?  ;)
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit
1978 Bultaco Sherpa project (not started)
1968 Kawasaki F3 175 Bushwhacker (project in progress)

timbo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
I fully understand Michael, it makes total sense, but I still wear a pisspot  :)
Namaste

mthee

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Hey Matt. Just wondering how you got on looking for bar end mirrors, any luck?  ;)

A selection here to view, but be sure to check for cheaper retailers if you see somerhing you like.

http://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/mirrors-c127?gclid=CjwKEAjwu6a5BRC53sW0w9677RcSJABoFn4si3Jon71E8frBYZyoxFHzMaGSmkDiA7L1qSzyWhG8pxoCQ_jw_wcB#:page1

I'm also looking at replacement mirrors to screw in original mounts, but not have such a rise on them. I might try to live with the originals, as I have come to like parts I originally loathed (pea green T140V UK shape tank)