Author Topic: Hammering Thinners  (Read 765 times)

iansoady

Re: Hammering Thinners
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2023, 09:07:40 AM »
The primer I've been using for years is Pro-Cote grey industrial primer from Toolstation. It goes on nice & thick, covers all sorts of previous paint and seems unaffected by whatever I put over it. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped stocking it as I found outyesterday having just used the last of a tin I had. But still available from ebay if a bit more expensive.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1965 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

xbally

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2023, 04:56:13 PM »
I ordered some primer from Toolstation and it came in a 1 litre tin. I have yet to try it and have still got to order the paint from Stationary Engine Parts as I managed to track down a donor bike for my project which has provided a powder coated frame V5 and a fully body kit and petrol tank (see later)  which will save me a load of hassle (hopefully ) and expense. I also got a useable pair of forks, spare wheels and quite a few other bits. This all started when I put the original project bike's petrol tank in the sun at the bottom of my drive to help evaporate the old petrol . I then went  to meet up with an old work colleague for a ride  on our bikes. Unknown to me, my wife was going out but had left something for the tatters on the pavement. When I got back from the ride I wondered where the petrol tank had gone.  I can only assume the tatters took it complete with the key which was in the open cap and the vacuum fuel tap which made emptying out the tank difficult.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

Moto63

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 06:52:21 AM »
Oh no. Now that is a tale of woe Martin. Hopefully with a happy ending. Because let’s face it everyone loves a happy ending 🤞👍

iansoady

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »
They can be a bit enthusiastic! I'm always careful about not leaving stuff out although when you want someone to take it away it usually stays for days......

Oh, by the way the toolstation primer I use is their aerosol. I've managed to track some down on ebay.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1965 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

xbally

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 11:58:45 AM »
Yes ..hopefully the "loss" of the original fuel tank will hopefully help me in the long run.....The bodywork on the first bike had been re-sprayed yellow-a very none standard colour for this bike (a Kawasaki GPZ500S- I had one in the 90's.)It would have cost me many £s to have it all resprayed and on top would have been the cost of powder coating the frame and swing arm. The donor bike's body kit with the petrol tank is in standard blue which is great.

Moto63

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »
Cracking bikes Martin. Big bro had one for a few years, when I had the XBR cafe racer. We did a lot of (s)miles on them fair steeds. Best of luck with it 👍
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 09:46:23 PM »
Thanks Michael. Should keep me quiet over the coming months..............