Author Topic: Airbox  (Read 1073 times)

SRXweb

Airbox
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
Hello,

I'm thinking about my SRX track racer : do you think it could give a gain to oversize the airbox ?

guest295

Re: Airbox
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »
In general, if it's sucking more air than stock a bigger airbox and bigger filter would be good. But designing airboxes isn't all that simple.

andy230

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
You could just run open carbs... thats quite a big airbox!  Admittedly not great for longevity of the engine, but as long as you shield it from stuff thrown up from the track by the rear wheel, it whould be ok ....

CR33 carbs?

Depends how much power you want vs. how much time you want to spend rebuilding and how often!

a

SRXweb

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
Standard carbs.

Just want to enhance the engine function. Don't have money to make big transformations but I will have some space free under the tank.

I don't want to put cornet air filters because they operate differently in function of weather and atmospheric pression.

Bigger airbox = more stable air = better engine ??

andy230

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
I don't want to put cornet air filters because they operate differently in function of weather and atmospheric pression.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  It would have been my next suggestion!   :-[

Bigger airbox = more stable air = better engine ??

Only possibly... Personally, I'd put a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox, and maybe open up the intake mouth on the box a little...  I had this on my roadbike.

If I remember correctly, the intake is on the side of the airbox?  On a little "door"??  Sorry, its been a while!  But if so, you could get a spare "door" (or even airbox) to experiment.

Its just such a pig to change the airbox...  Rear wheel off, right?!!   :o 

Keep us posted!

a

guest564

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

To some extent. On my XBR I used the biggest K&N that would fit, it was intended for a car if I remember correctly and was big enough that there was no noticable diffrence in the wet with it lightly oiled. Before that I ran an open intake but in the wet dirt off the track wore the carb quickly and caused the slide to stick open resulting in a big moment one time at Brands; I also found scoring in the barrel every time I stripped it.
I ran a few other filters on the dyno but the K&N was the only one that gave full power, a Mallosi (sp?) was so bad the engine barely ran without jetting changes.The K&N is quite nice in that it the rubber is moulded in a bellmouth shape.

SRXweb

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for these statements.

Well, I think japanese engineers had hard headaches thinking about the airbox size, and I certainly exaggerated the action of atmospheric pression on cornet air filters when I see the numbers of SRX fitted with cornets.
My first idea was to put a SZR airbox
These airboxes weight like dead donkeys. It could be a good idea to take it off, and after-all I am not that champion enough.
I will try the two version and continue to seek for a solution to make my own airbox.  I'll make you know about it.

Thanks again.

guest564

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
I recommend the K&N because I once had an S&B on an XT250 and every time it rained I had to take it off as it ran like it was on choke.

Steve H

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »

My first idea was to put a SZR airbox

The SZR airbox sits above the engine so the SRX frame will be in the way !.

SRXweb

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
thanks for the advice.