Author Topic: xbr500 decompressor  (Read 964 times)

750rideruk

xbr500 decompressor
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
I have recently aquired a 1989 xbr 500 S J model. The decompressor lever is missing from the engine, Should this model have one and if so is it an acceptable mod to remove same. The bike ticks over but spits and stalls at tickover and i wonder if this is a symptom? Can anyone throw any light on this please

themoudie

Re: xbr500 decompressor
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
Aye 750rideruk,

remove all stale fuel, clean carb, check inlet rubber for cracks, perishing, poor fit, clean air filter. New fuel and see what happens!

Not sure about de-compressor, it's what your right legs for and others more knowledgeable about XBR's will be along soon I'm sure.

Over to you 002.

Enjoy the site and I hope you find the solution. Damos SR500 holds the record for number and duration of posts to geta bike running so far! ;-)

Cheers, Bill

Steve H

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:58 PM »
Not sure but I believe the later XBR and Dominator engines have a centrifugal decompressor in the camshaft.

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:26:01 PM »
The later XBArse does not have the Decomp cable from the kick start lever to head.
Steve is right...the later XBArse and Dommies have a centrifugal jobbie on the cam shaft.

Your running problem could lie else where.
Check your tick over should be around the 12-1400rpm area.

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

boze

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »

Damos SR500 holds the record for number and duration of posts to geta bike running so far! ;-)

Cheers, Bill

haha! aye yer not wrong there mate....

bloody thing.....

the left hand side cover flew off on the motorway the other day and the air/fuel mixture screw rattled out today...ill be buggered if i know where im going to get one of them and i need it to get to work on monday.......

Damo