Author Topic: DIY heated grips  (Read 581 times)

timbo

DIY heated grips
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Cause I'm a big woose, (and hate cleaning dirt encrusted bikes), its a few winters since I bothered taxing a bike all year round, but this year I have. Found me old bar muffs, but realised at the weekend, I need a set of heated grips. So I'm looking online and spy a DIY kit for £2.29 from China inc post! Anyway, same kit from Nottingham is £6, and arrives in days rather than weeks. So watch this space to see if its any good  :-\
Namaste

Moto63

Re: DIY heated grips
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
Hi Tim.  Chinky china man heated grips, careful ya bike don,t go up in flames :-) :-)  I can however give a big thumbs up to oxford sport heated grips, I,ve used for the last three years (mainly on my trumpet speed triple) as I usually ride the whole year round whenever time/kids/wife allow. These along with a heated vest are absolutely ace, keep ya kidneys and ya fingers warm and you can ride thro the coldest of days without to much discomfort/complaint. Plus the oxford grips are that good they feel just like a standard grip to touch/feel, not like those things you used to see years ago that were two to three times the diameter of the standard grips.  Cheers.  Michael

timbo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Well, that's the grips fitted. Well impressed, so much so that I've just ordered another three sets, at a grand total of £6.75 inc postage!
Wired the live into the side lights, and fitted them over the existing grips for max heat. Then pulled a bit of bicycle tube over the top of the shrink wrap covers.
Easy peazey,  lemon squeezy  ;)
Namaste

guest2020

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Excellent, must admit I do love having heated grips  ;)

Moto63

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
Stand well back from the flames...... They burn ya fingers :) :) :) :) :).

timbo

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
Oh yea, wired in a10amp car fuse, for that very reason :-\
Namaste

timbo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »
Well, I was sceptical about ordering stuff from China, but after exactly a month, the three sets of heated grip kits for £6.70, arrived today. Also the set I fitted a month ago are working really well, so a definite recommendation,  :)
Namaste

Dick Scratcher

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
Well, I was sceptical about ordering stuff from China, but after exactly a month, the three sets of heated grip kits for £6.70, arrived today. Also the set I fitted a month ago are working really well, so a definite recommendation,  :)

The mention of buying stuff from China reminded me of some bling after-market levers I bought for my ER6F. After 'checking out' what was available and seeing that 'Pazzo' were going for three-figure sums which was a total non-starter, I saw on fleabay from Hong Kong a variety of what appeared to be very similar kit going for a fraction of their price. I ordered, for £16.00 delivered, on the basis that if they were crap £16 wasn't too much to lose, a pair of standard length adjustable levers. Three weeks later they arrived and what a surprise, the quality was excellent, beautifully made, stainless fasteners and fitted with more precision than the O/E stuff. Like most I view Oriental made gear with suspicion but I quite honestly cannot criticise them at all. Well pleased and for 16 quid !.

iansoady

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Some Chinese stuff is indeed excellent as is a lot of stuff from India. They're only doing what Britain did a couple of hundred years ago (and Japan in the 50s).

I remember when "Made in Japan" meant plastic rubbish......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1965 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250