Author Topic: Repairing pin holes in a tank  (Read 996 times)

Propellor

Re: Repairing pin holes in a tank
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
Aye timbo,

Not the same I know, but after making some good chutney and leaving it to 'mature' in an aluminium jelly pan, said pan developed pin prick holes!  ??? Aceatic acid!  :o

Quote from the dreaded Wicki P "Vinegar is a liquid consisting mainly of acetic acid (CH3COOH) and water. The acetic acid is produced by the fermentation of ethanol by acetic acid bacteria."

So, as you can see the added ingredient of 'petrol' may turn to vinegar in your tank like an opened unfinished bottle of Beaujolly! I know, that's anathama to many on this site!  ;)

Anyway, as we were living 16miles from the nearest ironmongers and had a glut of apples to make into more chutney, the pan was filled with water and every water drop on the outside of the pan marked with a soft pencil. The pan was then dried off, given a wee dink with a ball pein hammer on the outside of each hole and then the holes were filled with 'JB weld'. The pan was then sat on the 'Carron' stove, like a 'Rayburn', and warmed for 24 hours. 32 years later we are still making jam, jelly, marmalade and chutney in it and the JB hasn't budged!  ;D

Just don't leave the contents in the tank to corrode it, drink it or ride it dry!  ::)

Good health to you all, Bill

Bill, do you have the molecular symbol fir JB weld? Failing that, the quantum number should do. ;D

As for the bo jolly, I couldn't pissibly comint.
BEIGE is all the rage

Propellor

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
Oh, by the wAy.

CHEERS!
BEIGE is all the rage

themoudie

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
Aye, Propeller,

And this years Seville orange marmalade on toasted, buttered hot cross buns, with thick cocoa, afore sliding down 'sheet alley' after a day working on "Morini the Minx" is really tasty.  ;)

Slainte!  ;D

Bill

Propellor

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »
Aye, Propeller,

And this years Seville orange marmalade on toasted, buttered hot cross buns, with thick cocoa, afore sliding down 'sheet alley' after a day working on "Morini the Minx" is really tasty.  ;)

Slainte!  ;D

Bill

Talkin of morini's, check out the recent video on rocket garage. That guy sure ain't showing that poor morini any mercy!
BEIGE is all the rage

themoudie

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 12:36:49 AM »
Aye Propeller,

;D OH! to bide there, just a lovely man, with some very nice wee bits of kit! Bellissimo!  ;D

Bill

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
hi  I put chemical metal  in a couple of pin holes in a gsx tank
its had petrol in it now for about 3 weeks so far so good no leaks

week 5 its leaking doh :'( :'(
so don't use chemical metal folks  tommy

timbo

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
Sorry to hear that you've sprung a leak Tommy  :'( but thanks for letting us know.
Namaste

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »
I think I will try araldite next  tommy

timbo

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:45 AM »
Unfortuneatly I can't give positive feedback on the araldite, as I'm still waiting on Alison to primer the tank before any fuel goes in  :-\
Namaste

timbo

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »
Ok, just thought id drag this old thread back up. I can confirm that araldite definitely isn't modern petrol proof. It lasted about three weeks before the petrol ate it and it lifted off in big flakes. So following Tommys previous post, we can now confirm that neither JB Weld or Araldite is a permenant petrol tank repair  :( So im going to explore the brazing or silver solder route, as I now have four leaky xbr tanks to fix  :(
Namaste