Author Topic: por-15  (Read 1169 times)

guest668

por-15
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
hi am looking to get a tank sealer kit for my srx was wondering if anyone has used the por-15 kit from frosts adn was it any good an is  there enough in the kit for doing the srx tank...alos are htere any other kits anyone could recommend many thanks

wellesleyboy52

Re: por-15
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
Hello beezer,
                     Re your post about POR 15, I have used it,and very successfully,and yes,their is enough in the kit to do your tank properly,the tank I did was a Velocette Thruxton tank and there was easily enough for the job.before I rattle on about what I did,have a look at this site, it may help you to make your mind up which way to go.If you do have a look at it, and decide to go down the POR15 route, and feel you would like a bit more help,come back to the forum,and I for one will tell you what I did to overcome some of the prospective problems.
This is the site>UK Bike Forum>POR15Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit.
If you do come back, I might be able to dig a couple of photos up.
                                                                                                        I wish you well,
                                                                                                                 Mel.

guest668

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:51 AM »
thanks for the replyMel am torn at the moment between the por 15 method or the electrolysis method has anyone had any experience or tips with this method....does the por 15 get rid of rust in very rusty tank? also what did you use to blank of pet cock etc

guest295

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »
Remove the tap and plug the hole with a tapered plug. Regardless of your means of sealing the tank, this is the first step.

wellesleyboy52

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
Hello Beezer, the above post puts the job in perspective,ie.sealing the tank,and doing it properly
was of some concern to me,and I had to give it a lot of thought. I had checked the tank on my velo.and noticed a deterioration on the inside caused by the onset of rust which shook me a little bit. I knew I had to do something about it,but same as you I was undecided because there is quite a diverse opinion about different products and methods.I checked as much info. as I could on various forums etc.,and decided to try the POR15 sealer.A case of suck it and see.
The tank I had to do is a real beauty,with a very good finish to the paint work,which,if I got it wrong would cost me a packet to get sorted,and  I had no real knowledge of what damage the POR15 would do if I got any on the tank paintwork,so the sealing was a really important issue.
I had looked at several of the bung type methods for the petrol tap holes,but I still wasnt happy,
I had an idea, I had a few old and useless petrol taps,so I took the filters off a pair,and then filled the insides with Araldite to block them up,and then screwed them into the tank in the usual way,
they worked a treat,they were also very handy for a bit of grip whilst shaking the tank.
The next job was the petrol cap,bearing in mind this has to be opened and closed several times
during the job. Thoughts of having to sell the wifes bits of jewellery to have the tank painted again crossed my mind as to achieve this and not ruin the paint was not going to be easy. Actually
it was. I finished up using some layers of sandwich bags,which I cut into squares which amply
covered the filler hole,I put several layers over the hole one at a time until I could close the filler
cap and feel it clip in to place,without undue pressure.Mine is the lift up and press down type.
I tried the idea several times with water in the tank and it worked fine with no leaks.[ for me.]
The POR15 Marine clean is the thinnest of the kit ingredients,mostly water,the sealer itself is a
little like thin cream and is easier to control.
During the job with the sealer itself,I also took the petrol taps out between coats,and cleaned and replaced them. They worked perfectly, no problems whatsoever.
By the way if any one wants to use them be my guest.
I could blather on a bit more about the actual job,but you are not sure which way you are going to go.There is one thing,if you are going to paint your tank later, it wont be as scary.
Keep us posted on what you do.
                                                       Cheers,Mel.
Heres a couple of pictures of the tank.  I hope. Taken during the job. 

wellesleyboy52

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
Hello again,
                   hope this has worked.
                                                   cheers Mel.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest668

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
cheers for the replies and mel i think im erring towards the por 15 after your post....the tank isnt brilliant paint wise and has had to have some welding done to pin holes but the 400 is my back up bike and i want it back on the road without the expense of resprays...the por 15 has a good  reputation and looks a more straightforward method to me......so please do tell more about your experience and process involved....lovely tank by the way.

my dad use to ride a 500cc velocette back in the day..though he never told me what model it was!

cheers martin

themoudie

Re: por-15. Alternative product that can be used on fibreglass as well.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
I have not used this product, but the list of stockists/users in the UK, appears comforting!  :-\  However, I cannot pass judgement as I have not had dealings with any of them.

LINK: Phenol Novolac Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

Thought some might find the product useful.

My regards, Bill.

guest668

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
that sounds interesting Bill especially the fact that it actually prefers a rustier surface to adhere to therefore ing presume meani you dont have to go through the rust removal process just the degreasing....or am i wrong?