Author Topic: Winter rally stuff, picking some brains  (Read 461 times)

Andy M

Winter rally stuff, picking some brains
« on: September 19, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
All this talk of winter rallies has got me planning. One of the problems I came across last year was getting the wire of my (home made) heated jacket out of the rain suit. There is obviously little point if you only have a choice of dry and cold or wet and warmer (or possibly fried). For this year then I'm making a sort of extension that'll get the cable out of the suit, the jacket plugging in inside and I thought I'd try picking some brains. Maybe the scubber crowd know some tricks about this sort of thing?

Plan A is to cut a small hole inside the packing pouch/inside pocket of the rain suit and pass the cable through from the inside to the outside, sealing with either a sew on or stick on patch (or Duct tape). The cable then runs up to the last closing part of the pouch zip and down inside the storm flap to the outside. The idea is that most of the waterproofing will be by changes of direction, but any ideas are appreciated.

Andy

J Hop

Re: Winter rally stuff, picking some brains
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:35:41 PM »
Can't help with the heated jacket, never had one. But I will tell you what my biking clothing was for 10 hours a day courier riding during the winter.

Feet ; British army pro boots (combat boots with goretex lining, had to do a fair bit of walking delivering to 25th floor etc). 2 pairs normal socks, 1 pair british army arctic issue socks (toastie)

lower half ; 2-3 pairs of longjohns (wicking type, helly hansen etc). leather bike trousers with armour in the knees (windstopper), if really cold waterproof unlined trousers over top of leathers even if not raining.

upper half; 2-3 long sleeve thermal vests(wicking type), + as many jumpers as I could fit under bike jacket, cordura type goretex jacket with lining.

necktube with attached bib front and rear (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

No 1 stay warm accessory (but makes your bike look s**t) Handlebar muffs.

Only used to wear fingerless sailing gloves as had to operate walkie talkie type radio on the move.

guest18

Re: Winter rally stuff, picking some brains
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:14:48 AM »
Yup, agree with J Hop on all counts.
As for waterproofing, I wouldn't count on duct tape. Make sure that the cable is secured both sides of the hole (so it can't be pulled through and break the seal) and buy a tube of "aquasure" (or is it "Aquaseal"? can't quite remember just now!!) from your local dive shop. Apply liberally and that should be as close to waterproof as you are ever going to get! (it is used to repair drysuit seals amongst other things)