Author Topic: XBR500 Rear shock recommendations?  (Read 470 times)

SteveC#222

XBR500 Rear shock recommendations?
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
I'm starting to look around for some replacement rear shocks for the XBR, the originals are starting to feel tired but they are nearly 30 years old so they haven't done badly!

Has anyone fitted some aftermarket ones to their XBR that they can recommend? I'm not necessarily looking for cheapest, but some that work well and preferable in the 'classic' style?

I've tried some Hagons basic ones in the past but wasn't impressed, the chrome soon started to flake and the damping never felt quite right.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:51:32 PM by SteveC#222 »
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

booxbr

Re: XBR500 Rear shock recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
My XBR came with a pair of old hagons on ,but after a trip to Derbyshire two up the seals popped .So put a pair of cheap ebays ones on to get me by .Bike been off road for the last year doing odd jobs on it ,treated it to some YSS shocks at a cost of £165 apart from a trip to get it MOT have not really give them a good test yet .Taxing the bike on Friday so after the weekend will have a report on them 

Propellor

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
Dunno but I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

You thought of maxton?

I put a pair of hagon basic on the Beemer. They stood up to 20k miles without any issues and performance wise they did very well. Better than I expected. They were still going strong when I sold the bike.
BEIGE is all the rage

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
Evening Steve, I put a new pair of fully adjustable hagons on my XBR cafe racer (before it's demise) they were decent shocks bolted straight in no probs. however I personally found them slightly over sprung even when dialled right down. Having said that I had stripped a fair chunk of weight off the bike so maybe that wouldn't have helped matters..cheers. Michael

SteveC#222

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
looking around I see that Wemoto do the more expensive hagon shrouded style shocks with stainless bodies.

I'm not sure if fully shrouded shocks looks quite right on an XBR - what do you think?

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
IMVHO Steve, no I don't think they look quite right on the XBR, mine were black but big bro had the chrome non adjustable ones on his Beemer. They seemed the very good and seemed well damped etc when following him. As far as I know he thought they were generally ok, especially for the money and like he says he did 20k on them and defo not all of them in the sunshine. I suppose it depends on how much one really wants to spend. Cheers, Michael

timbo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:28:06 PM »
Here's my tuppence worth, well actually Tony the Lurker's tuppence worth. He recently bought a pair of rear shocks from Wemoto. Details as follows.
Box said, MDI by Forsa Enterprises of Taiwan. Cost £75 approx. He finds he's a bit firm, even on his softest settings, lucky man  :D
Reckons his originals are hard to beat, provided he's not leaking  :D
Namaste

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
Aye Steve,

Enter "Shocks" into the 'Search' top right of screen and spend a happy hour contemplating!  ;)

My regards, Bill

Propellor

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 05:34:35 AM »
We're the originals fvq? Think we've had this conversation before  ;D
BEIGE is all the rage