Author Topic: Fuel in the crank case srx600  (Read 2639 times)

johnr

• Regular
Re: Fuel in the crank case srx600
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »
original post says that the fuel tap was on prime. so i wouldnt rebuild the tap just yet, sounds like it wasnt at fault, cos it was on prime, not on or reserve..

themoudie

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 12:08:05 AM »
Aye johnr,

Cheers chaps.. mum watched the baby long enough for me to remove the tank lastnight.  To be fair i think most of the fuel that was in it is now in the crank case and on the garage floor . Also the fuel tap was on run not prime .. should i still over haul the tap? Or does this suggest the problem lies with the carb?  Thankyou so much  for all the sound advice..  knowing my luck the clutch plates will be swollen and all the lot .. bloody hell

Hence the movable feast of potential jobs required!  ;)

Hope you are in good fettle?

My regards, Bill

Danxup

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »
So... drained the oil/ fuel out of the crank case snd oil tank .. had the bike on its side to make sure its all out.. checked air box which is dry thankfully.. removed fuel tap and carbs no filth in the float bowl carbs seem fine its not long since i had the tank repaired and lined and carbs cleand twice .. and replaced all pipes.. also bill did the armour all trick om your recommendation when sorting out the tank and carbs last time.  Thanks by the way its good gear that..however i think while ther off ill replace needle and seat etc anyway.  Havnt had time to dismantle the tap yet but i think ill just overhaul it anyway..  just realised in my haste i forgot to take out the oil filter.. probably be one night this week befor i get in the garage again now.  In the mean time ill be ordering parts.. also the clutch has gone slack so im assuming ill have to replace the plates? Cheers evryone

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
if your clutch was in good nick before the fuel problem, then i'd strip it, clean it thoroughly x 2, let it dry out completely, then reassemble, that worked for me.
if you're ordering a service kit for the fuel tap, .... i got mine from M&P, and although i've always been happy with their stuff, it took 3 attempts to get the right kit.
the pic on their website looks like the right one, but bears no resemblance to whats in their stores.... speak to a human, they rang up their supplier while i was on the phone and identified the right part. and i did get credit for the wrong ones, just a pain in the arse and a waste of 2 weeks. of course, i don't have the correct part number  ... bunged the packet away.... what a plonker!

CrazyFrog

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »
Just a tip, I'd try the carbs off the bike after you've fitted new float valves and seats. Sadly, in my experience at least, the quality of carb rebuild kits is very hit and miss, and in the past it's taken me several goes to find a combination of valve and seat from several different kits before getting the valve to stop leaking.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Danxup

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 06:21:59 PM »
Bloody hell its a minefield out ther.. ill let you know how i get on.. if i didnt love how this bike rides id probably give up

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »
Stick wi it Dan!  ;) Today the Mono was given a canter and there is nothing like a single getting into it's stride!  ;D  A lot of elbow grease, dosh and "Am I doing the right thing?", but very addictive!  :o

My regards, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
Hell yes I will defo echo Bills words there, stick with it Dan. I've been on with my "tracker project " for approximately 5 years🤣🤣... granted my accident did get in the a touch but as Bill says can't beat a decent single. Best of luck 👍.... cheers. Michael

Danxup

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
I will i still have the 400 on the road anyway.. im going to order the parts and oil and filters on Wednesday when i get paid.  Ill let you know how i get on.. hopefully get time to get in the garage inbetween looking after baby working and life in genral.. may even take an afternoon off work once all the parts and oil arrive

Steve Lake

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »
yeah, it's difficult making time for the bike(s) when you're in full time work and a family to attend to, sometimes us old buggers semi or fully retired with family all grown up and fled the nest, don't appreciate (or remember ) the difficulties.... I sold my velocette viper in 1976 when i left the raf, and didn't get another bike until 1994 when i got my #1 srx6. so i have a lot of admiration for you guys who keep your bikes and fettle away through thick and thin.

Danxup

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
Steve just a quick question... what did you clean your clutch plates with and how long did you leave them to dry out.. havnt got the buggers out yet but hoping to get the clutch cover off after work today.  Just orderd the gasket and oil and filters.. ill be ordering rest of bits on my dinner break. Cheers

Danxup

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
All bits orderd.  Got fuel tap kit from yambits along with float needle and seat. Hopefully get in garage sunday morning and have a go at it

themoudie

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
Aye Dan,

Steve may use something else, but I use Brake and Clutch Cleaner. Clean everything down with it (inside of case, metal and fibre plates, scrub with a stiff brush/tooth brush and leave to evaporate) having removed external case muck with paraffin and or AutoGlym Cleaner, before splitting the cases.

I purchase my Brake and Clutch Cleaner from my local motor factor, about £8-50 for a 5litre can.

Just be careful how you dispose of the manky stuff and do not have a fag over the top of it!  :o  I apologies if this is all obvious information.  :-X

My regards, Bill

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:51:28 AM by themoudie »

Steve Lake

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Bill beat me to it.... yes, brake/clutch cleaner ....  or a good proprietary degreaser ... let 'em dry as long as possible
good luck

Danxup

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »
Cheers fellas... still havnt had chance to get in the garage. Hope the clutch plates arnt buggerd by now .. the parts are all here and the oil and filters so just got to find time now and get some break cleaner.  Carbs are off and in bits fuel tap off just need to get bloody time.. ill be sure to let you know soon as ive made any progress .. thank you all so much for your input..