Author Topic: Hello-SRX owner new to the forum  (Read 705 times)

bluesunbeam

Hello-SRX owner new to the forum
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:08:06 AM »
Hi everybody,
 Very happy to stumble across this forum whilst trying to find a dedicated SRX site.
 I have owned my import SRX 600 for 15 years. It spent 4 years on the road and the next 3 years outside under a cover and the last 8 years in my kitchen. It is now time to make a decision on its future as i no longer have the excuse of not having the time to work on it.
 The bike was scruffy and battered when i first got it; it has a badly scraped aftermarket exhaust system, is missing the tacho and has various scrapes to the left hand side components . The tank had some minor dents when i bought the bike; this changed after it went into by far the worst tankslapper that i have ever experienced. One of the lock stops snapped off and the handlebars beat the hell out of the tank as did my knees as it tried to pitch me off.
 I love the look of a standard SRX in silver and the bike needs to be restored to something like it's former glory so i have spent a while getting the parts needed. Luckily a good exhaust came up and i hope a NOS tacho is winging it's way to sunny Reading along with various cables and other odds and sods.The real unobtaniums seem to be the exhaust supports . After days of searching and twice being let down by vendors saying they had the parts only to inform me days later that, in reality, they had sold out a long time ago, i found two of the three in Australia. This vendor assures me that they do have them and that they are the last ones so i will believe it when i actually have them in my hand- i'm not holding my breath.
 This leaves me in search of just one-1jk-21487-00. Don't worry, i am not trying to scrounge someones spare parts but i would appreciate being allowed to take some measurements of this component if possible so that i can get one fabricated . The metalastic bushes are the biggest problem but looking at some other Yamaha parts lists i think i have managed to get the equivalent bush but in a different mount from a YZF r6.
 I appreciate that this is a bit forward as i have no track record on the forum, but if their is an SRX owner willing to go through the hassle of removing this part temporarily and allowing me to get accurate measurements i would be very grateful. The only alternative to this is if there is a database with this information in it - if there is i can't find it but i am useless as far as anything IT related goes.
 Thanks for wading through this post . As i said i am in Reading and am happy to travel to get these specs. If you think you could help please PM me or just reply in this thread.
                                                              Dave C

themoudie

Re: Hello-SRX owner new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:25:51 AM »
Morning Dave,

Welcome to the mad house! Off topic and wandering topics often, so enjoy a gentle ramble through the forum, as and when. ;)

Now for your query. Fowlers parts website is a very useful search for obscure parts and possible other bike models that might use the same parts, so here is the link:

Fowlers_Parts_Bristol

I searched their parts list and it came back as unobtainium  :(  and with a last listed price of £41-72!  :o :o ::)  This sort of rampant inflation has started to afflict old OME Yamaha SRX parts recently and doesn't look like abating. :( Is it #23 on the parts diagram of the frame that I have attached to this post?

Another source for parts is the Japanese auction site 'Jauce'. Yet again this is not cheap and the final cost of a part may be 3 times the bid price, once commission, import fees and P&P have been paid. However, in all my dealings the Japanese have delivered what they say they are selling, in often better condition than advertised and there still appears to be a good supply of either OME or Japanese after market "goodies".

Link to 'Jauce' and a Yamaha SRX search: Jauce_SRX600_search  Hopefully you get some pictures! Recently my computer has only produced machine symbols where a picture and lot details would normally sit, so I hope that you have better luck than me!

If you would care to send me a "Personal Message" (PM) via the forum, with your email address; I will send a SRX600 twin shock manual to your email address.

Hope this helps get the old bird back out on the road.

Good health, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »
Welcome aboard Dave. Think you’ll be in safe hands, there’s two or three very knowledgeable chaps on here (I’m not one of them😢) who seem to know the srx inside out. I’m more an XBR man. Plus the banter is good.👍
Cheers, Michael

Ian

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
Hello Dave and welcome to the forum and fountain of knowledge of most things Thumper related. I own (just one now) SRX-4, virtually identical to the 600 apart from the obvious engine. Mine is a later monoshock but there are lots off parts that are interchangeable between the 2 and other Yamaha models of a similar era. Just as an alternative whilst I was building a hybrid (leccy start engine in a twin shock frame) I had a similar problem as you in that I wanted the same exhaust mountings. In the end I machined a solid piece of aluminium to replace the knackered isolastic bush. As far as I know it's still going strong now (at least 7 years).
Hope we may see you at the Stafford Show in October. Thumperclub will have a stand on the balcony. There will be a warm welcome and you never know you may even find a few bits that you need
 Cheers Ian 👍
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

mthee

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
8 years in your kitchen? That's got to be some sort of record?! Welcome and best of luck. If the srx gents on here can't get you sorted, I'll eat my hat! Matt.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
welcome Dave ... good to have another SRX geezer on the premises !. i have just sold my 9th one (yes, i still have #1, and a shed load of bits that amount to 1 and a 1/2 srx 6's.
now, if i can find a pic of the bracket you want i may have the part you require, or, at worst, one that can be modified to suit. don't hold your breath as i'm off on hols and back middle of october.
good luck with the rebuild/refurb ...  you can be assured of a response on here, even if it is to take the p*sh :-)
not being a purist none of the srx's i've had have been blessed with the standard exhaust/silencer ... the original weighs a ton and makes the bike sound, well, shall we say ... non thumperish ... equally i never use the original carbs if i can help it , to bloody complicated ... i have used twin dellorto's, twin amals and a single 41mm dellorto ... all to good effect.

cheers

Itsme

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »
Hi Dave

Sorry I know nothing of SRX 600s other than I have always liked the look of them. Now you've found us have a look around and see if there is stuff you like. The Thumper Club do's are always great with lots of real-world motorcycling and nattering.

Spartacus

bluesunbeam

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 05:50:18 PM »
 Many thanks for the warm welcome. Now for the embarrassing bit- I have not made an auspicious start to my membership of this forum. Whilst reading Bills reply i went to check that the part was No.23 (i thought it was 24 and sure enough it was) and noticed a line pointing  to the opposite side of the bike from where i assumed it was. The diagram has the part shown on the left hand side of the bike on the Fowlers website and what looks like two bolt holes for it close to the part. The line pointing to the right hand side is broken and i guess this is all it took to fool a simpleton like me. To sum up, i have wasted hours and hours of my time and a bit of yours trying to acquire a part that i have had all along. The good news is that it is reasonably serviceable - no separation of the rubber and metal and pretty much rust free. I am annoyed with myself for not sussing it earlier as i had read a post about what a pig it was to get off and talk of removing the rear brake pedal to help with access ; i actually looked at what i thought was the mounting point on the left side and wondered why all the fuss about access ; can't believe i still didn't tumble it even though the brake is on the opposite side.
 Thanks again for your help. I think your posting that large and much clearer parts diagram was the tipping point Bill- for some reason that flipped a switch in my underused grey matter. I had already tried Jauce with no luck but it looks to be a very useful site- another good piece of gen that i found whilst perusing other posts on this forum a couple of days ago. The offer of the manual is gratefully accepted Bill and i will try and put my e-mail address into my account so it can be downloaded.
 Ian, i found it interesting and surprising that you had used a solid mount for so long with no fracturing of the exhaust . It's good to know that this is a viable option if all else fails.
 As to the kitchen, yes it is along time, but it was the only room i could get it into without dismantling the bike; it was the kitchen or leave the poor beast out in the elements. I am sure you have already guessed that there is no Mrs C in the picture so designating a kitchen as a second garage is no problem.
 Steve, thank you for offering to rootle through your spares for the bracket- if your spares room is anything like mine i am sure you are relieved that you are off the hook now. I have to confess that my love for the SRX is purely based on aesthetics and bar the hideous OE mirrors it is, to my eyes, the best looking bike the Japanese have ever produced- it is a true outlier. I do think there are other great looking Jap bikes but only the twin-shock SRX has managed to be totally different and still retain a mix of elegance and purpose. It is a shame it sold so poorly and put Yamaha off trying anything like it again.
 I am looking forward to Stafford and hope i can overcome my innate indolence enough to make some progress on this project.
                               Thanks again everyone
                                      Dave C

mthee

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Moto63 will be along in a mo' to wrap this one up in his usual Cilla Black stylee 👍😁

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 10:52:37 PM »
A "Lora Lora jelly babies!"  ;D  or something about BSP threads and 'Boss White'!  ;D

Slainte, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 07:37:26 AM »
Don't feel bad Dave, I once spent loads of time trying to get the indicators working on an outfit I was building only to realise I was trying to get both rear indicators working at the same time rather than one front and one rear! We all have our little 'moments'.

Spartacus

mthee

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
A "Lora Lora jelly babies!"  ;D  or something about BSP threads and 'Boss White'!  ;D

Slainte, Bill

Ha, ha! I remember her saying, "Ooh! I do love a happy ending!" on Blind Date 😁

Moto63

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 08:18:02 PM »
🤣😉 Absolutely.  Come on WHO just doesn't love a happy ending 😉