Author Topic: royal enfield G-series (1956) no spark?  (Read 6691 times)

gordy2169

Re: royal enfield G-series (1956) no spark?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
found some old pics my bro sent me when i first got the bike ill try them!! thats me spinning the wheel when i was  about 8 ish

[attachment deleted by admin]

gordy2169

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
my old man riding it

gordy2169

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
these are over 20 years old ill try to resize the new ones

gordy2169

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
need a rocker cover gasket seen loads for the bullet but cant find 1 for the model g  might make one from cork!

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
cork gasket or even cornflakes box gasket works ok. what kind of reg have you got? would a zennor diode work or have you a mechanical regulator, cos you can get solid state regulators that you can put inside the metal casing of your old one. if its a mechanical reg, you can adjust them.

gordy2169

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »
i know i have thanked you a lot over the time this thread has been running but i would just like to say again how much i really do welcome your thorts ideas and help! with out getting to sentimental, i have never had this sort of input or interest in my maniacal probs since my ol man died !! i said when i first got the bike if i cant get it running ill just hang it on a wall in my garage (as a sort of memento or relic of my dads life) but thanks to you john and my brother who has also put a lot of time and effort into it ! its now road legal and running which is more than i thort i would do in years lol

anyway with all that lovey dovey shite said, i think its a manual reg but not sure its a bigish black oblong box with a domed top that unclips and has 2 large thick copper wire coils on a old school chipboard i will try to upload a pic (now i got the hang of it lol)

gordy2169

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »
this is it!

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
yes, its mechanical, there are two coils with contactors on the top, the faster the generator spins, the more voltage you get eventually the voltage gets high enough to trip the contactor out and stops the bike charging.

try looking here, http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm for an overview of what does what,

here, http://www.traction-owners.co.uk/tech/Propsting/Voltage%20Regulator.pdf  for lucas type twin coil regs,

gordy2169

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 01:48:07 AM »
soon it will be the only bike i have on the road !! ive sold my bandit and will be selling my r6 in the spring i have gs that was sat in a mates garden for 11 years so when ive got the time and funds that will be my main transport but til then ill be on the ol brit

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
youve a gs? which one? cos i REALLY know my way round big suzuki lumps!

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
and try maplin for the voltage regulator. i got one from maplin the other year (although it was 12v) and it was about a tenner!! ive an electronic one on my 53 bsa, works great, and never have to touch it.

incidentally, if you have a dynamo, you can make it run at 12v and fit a 12v reg, allowing you to then have something like decent lighting, although paul goff sells 6v halogen headlight bulbs which do cut through the gloom a bit better than stock.

gordy2169

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
yeah i got a (1978) gs 750 !

gordy2169

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »
i was thinking about converting it to 12v but didnt have a clue where to start ! if its as easy as buying a 12v reg and batt then i may as well do that now if i got to replace it any way!!!

skorpi660

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 02:26:07 AM »
Hi Bro, Finally got logged in, juz been reading thro' ur topic of events with John.. I would like to take this opertunity John to thank you for taking the time and giving us your factual help .. As I feel without your help we would still be trying to get the ol'girl running..

Its certainly been a head scratching journey and an education in simple, but confusing electronics, really once looked into its very clever simple electronics.. We even had a BMW motor electronics engineer friend of ours take a look at the Enfield. He has been in the trade for 30 years and has had like myself since the 1980's something like 50 or more different types of motorvehicle from all over world.. Originally I think that he thought that it would be a sinch to get the enfield running, but he left us scratching his head & confused over the operation of the mag/dyno's operatio or lack of it.. LOL, its been along time since we worked as lads on his dad's 1940's Massy in the shed at his home..

Gordy keep us posted on which route ur gunna take on which type of regulator ur gunna fit, will try & post some of the pic's I have of the Enfield when I get the chance, c u later, Nick..

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
it is pretty much that simple, as the bike has magneto ignition, then the dynamo and charging system really do nothing but power the lights and horn, so a convertion to 12v is really quite a good thing, also whilst at it you can convert to negative earth too to simplify it, this you will need to decide before buying a reg as they come in either 12v+ earth or 12v- earth, its a simple conversion and you can get the parts from srm, dave lindsley or any of a number of other classic bike suppliers. or, you could stick with 6v and just get a new voltage reg, and fit a better headlight bulb! my 53 beesa has still got 6v neg earth, but has a electronic reg, a halogen bulb, a led tail light a 6v gel battery and an electronic ignition conversion (expensive option!!) and works just fine on 6v, so the choice is yours, both work fine, it just depends what your budget is. if you need a new reg anyway, then going 12v means you need a set of 12v bulbs and a battery too, staying 6v means you just need a reg.

as for the little knowlege ive shared, well it was passed on freely to me by other folk who just wanted to help keep these old bikes on the road, and in the future, no doubt it will be passed on to others by yourselves, what goes around comes around as they say.

anyhow, before you spend money, you need to check that the bike is charging, you might have something as simple as a broken wire on your dynamo, or a set of dirty dynamo brushes!. so,  have a read of these on the subject of dynamos and regs,

http://www.nanocontrols.co.uk/auto/v-reg2.htm

http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/catalogue/index.php?target=categories&category_id=110

http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/parts.html

also as a footnote, remember you have a limited amount of power even with a well set up dynamo, so try and save where you can , if youve 100w output, then a 60/55 headlight is going to use over half of that and that assmues that all your connections are perfect and have no resistance, hence i fitted a led tail and stop light which uses only about 1 watt, so dont start fitting heated grips and sppot lights !!!!!