Author Topic: XBR EXHAUST/SILENCER  (Read 1917 times)

Oldtimer

• Where the hell has my life gone?
XBR EXHAUST/SILENCER
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
Hi Folks,
Newbie on here, just a couple of things.
1/
 I have 2-1 exhaust system fitted with a Laser silencer [can! I want to get rid of this dam awful thing and fit a more suitable silencer in keeping with the bike. I was thinking something along the lines of a shortened gold star type silencer. What have other folks done as originals are now none existant?
2/
 I assume that it is OK to use unleaded petrol?

Just to finish I think this site is brilliant for the wealth of knowledgeable guys out there. Long my it exist
Regards
Mike
Mike
Honda XBR500
Norton/BSA Gold Star DBD34 special

JOOLZ

Re: XBR EXHAUST/SILENCER
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
I use a goldstar exhaust (I cant really call it a silencer) but I put an extra baffle in the tailpipe and that gets it to an acceptable level, I have also tried Norton peashooters and shorty megas

Oldtimer

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
I use a goldstar exhaust (I cant really call it a silencer) but I put an extra baffle in the tailpipe and that gets it to an acceptable level, I have also tried Norton peashooters and shorty megas

I used to have a Goldie many moons ago and the dam thing was quieter without the silencer than with!
Have you got the short style and what did you do with the jetting of the carb?
Mike
Honda XBR500

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Hi Folks,
Newbie on here, just a couple of things.
......2/
 I assume that it is OK to use unleaded petrol?........

Regards
Mike

Aye Mike,

So far as I am aware, all Hondas including XBR were/are designed to be run on unleaded petrol. The effects of the ethanol mix supplied today as 'petrol' or maybe 'pee', just means it rots steel, clogs carbies and looses some of it's calorific umph if it lies around a while!  ??? 

The solutions being:
  • ride the bike more often
  • do a "Francis Maude", fill up little and often
but don't
  • store or horde it
  • pop some 'dewatering' additive into your tank with the petrol or drain the tank if the bike lies idle for more than 6 - 8 weeks

The first bullet point being the only correct answer from a member of this old leather chair, LRover, pedal propelled, pressured fuel appliances owners and weather women watchers, bunch of **************** (that's up to you ;)  )

Lang may yur lumb reek!

Bill.

JOOLZ

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »

I used to have a Goldie many moons ago and the dam thing was quieter without the silencer than with!
No I havnt got the shortie, I have the standard DBD34 exhaust, I cant help you with jetting as I use a different carb, although at a guess you would need to go 1 size up on both the idle and main jet

Oldtimer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

No I havnt got the shortie, I have the standard DBD34 exhaust, I cant help you with jetting as I use a different carb, although at a guess you would need to go 1 size up on both the idle and main jet

OK being nieve with the XBR but very interested in peoples mods, what carb have you got on and for what reason have you changed it?
Mike
Honda XBR500

JOOLZ

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
Hi I use an Amal 40mm with a velocity stack, pretty much personal choice, as I have a lot of experience with these carbs when racing. Amal carbs flow a lot better than most, so good for full throttle power, they are easy to set up, but they are a little crude in their jetting compared to modern carbs. As for other XBR mods, I have many Have a look in the project progress section. Others on here have also done mods to their XBR's
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:46:00 AM by JOOLZ »

Oldtimer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Hi I use an Amal 40mm with a velocity stack, pretty much personal choice, as I have a lot of experience with these carbs when racing. Amal carbs flow a lot better than most, so good for full throttle power, they are easy to set up, but they are a little crude in their jetting compared to modern carbs. As for other XBR mods, I have many Have a look in the project progress section. Others on here have also done mods to their XBR's

Cheers JOOLZ,
Nice to know for whatever reason mods are made to ponder on wether to do them your self.
As you changed the carb for racing purposes I can understand but as for myself I have passed that stage and enjoy the A & B roads nowadays. I remember the 1.1/2" GP carb on my Goldie was quite simple to set up as long as you got the remote float chamber at the correct height. I tried both the matchbox and the fat round chamber and the matchbox was better but as much as you tried to insulate it from viberation it still frothed over at top end revs.
Vibration was always a problem what with the carburation it used to loosen the small screws on the end of the magneto points plate and then the ignition timing went AWOL with plenty of backfiring. Plugs were another thing, it used to eat Champion plugs  Lodge plugs [pink HBLN] were a little better but in the end I bowed down  to NGK platinum tipped plug never had any trouble with plugs from there on. The only foreign part on the bike!!!!!
Sorry if I appear to drivel on a bit but I suppose I am trying to relive or compair the XBR with the Goldie. It's near but not quite the same but setting of in 2nd gear does put a smile on my face but not having a big heavy flywheel when you shut off is like putting your brakes on.
I digress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Honda XBR500

SteveC#222

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 07:56:09 PM »
If you're just changing the exhaust and not trying to get more power/speed I would stick with the standard CV. It works well, stays in tune and doesn't have any nasty flat spots or glitches. Check the plug after you have fitted your new silencer and take it from there, you'll probably only need to go up a size or so on main jet and if the aftermarket was fitted when you got it then it may already be up jetted.   The Dunstall Decibel silencer looks pretty close to the original and sound nice too.

A lot of contemporary tests tried to compare the XBR with the Goldie, though Honda didn't really like it.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Oldtimer

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »
If you're just changing the exhaust and not trying to get more power/speed I would stick with the standard CV. It works well, stays in tune and doesn't have any nasty flat spots or glitches. Check the plug after you have fitted your new silencer and take it from there, you'll probably only need to go up a size or so on main jet and if the aftermarket was fitted when you got it then it may already be up jetted.   The Dunstall Decibel silencer looks pretty close to the original and sound nice too.

A lot of contemporary tests tried to compare the XBR with the Goldie, though Honda didn't really like it.

Cheers Steve,
Looks like the Dunstall silencer it will be. Will look at the recommended site above.
Mike
Honda XBR500