Author Topic: Choke cable HELP!  (Read 948 times)

motomic

Choke cable HELP!
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
I am struggling to get a replacement choke cable for my Moto 6.5 which has a Mikuni BST40 carb.  Can any of you on here just have a quick dig into your collective encyclopaedic brains and tell me which other thumpers used this carb?  I might be able to fit a cable from another bike.  Alternatively do any small businesses offer a cable make up service if I provided the broken original?  any tips much appreciated

Dick Scratcher

Re: Choke cable HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »
Check with Venhill I'm pretty sure that they will make you one providing you can supply them with a pattern.

motomic

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
thanks, good thinking, saw an article on them just recently will look them up.  This forum came up trumps on the carb cold start bits so had to try here for this when I was struggling.  The Aprilia customer services on the web are pretty rubbish, can't get to enter a query for some reason.

thanks.

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Aye motomic,

Aprillia will no longer be interested!  ::)

Sad!

Hope you are able to get it sorted and then enjoy riding it.

My regards, Bill.

motomic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
I am certainly doing my best, I had to lay the bike up when I ran out of funds and thought it would be for a year but that was back in 2004 so it hasn't run since then.  After getting a carb to manifold rubber that is almost the right fit and might do from a company in NG I have now found the exact factory nos item from an ebayer in Italy.  My mate is helping me in exchange for a promise of being loaned the bike for the summer and our trip to the IOM for the MGP so he is pretty motivated too  ;D
Shame Aprilia are not interestd and no longer list this bike, but the engine is the Rotax so should be able to keep that going once I have sorted out all the fiddly bits.

Should have got a SRX after all  :)

guest295

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm surprised you're having trouble. Most good bike shops here make up cables, and if you've got a good torch you can do your own in a few minutes.

motomic

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
to be honest I think I am being a bit dim  :-[  I tried the 'contact us' email thingy on four or five Aprilia dealers and also on venhills site (none of them got back to me) before dropping in on the local custom bike 'we fix any old Jap bike' team yesterday and the bloke took one look at it and said 'this afternoon ok for you?'  Idiot me.  Then in a fit of pique as none of the aforementioned dealers had answered my emails I called one up.  After ruminating a bit about never having seen a bike like mine anywhere he found the part and said it could be ordered.

In future I will check more thoroughly before jumping on here but it was very helpful to be directed to the carb chaps so thanks for that.

So far I have managed to find a good second hand shock from a chap in Germany, the carb to inlet manifold rubber from the carb blokes plus another on its way from an ebayer in Italy.  Local custom guys to do the choke cable plus one on order.  I hope to fire it up next week then all the bits for the forks are easily available and I will rebuild them then its back on the road.

I hope.   
 :)

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
All positive motomic!  ;D

Can't be bad.

Regards, Bill.