Author Topic: SRX 6 questions- loose gearbox sprocket & airbox  (Read 422 times)

leah

SRX 6 questions- loose gearbox sprocket & airbox
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:44:28 AM »
Hi. I bought an SRX 600 as an unfinished project to do up. I notice the gearbox sprocket seems loose, having play both sideways & to & fro on the shaft. The fixing arrangement seems unusual to me, I'm more used to nuts & tab washers. Should there be shims to take the play? It seems odd that the sprocket moves independently of the shaft, if only a bit. Gonna cause wear won't it? Another question, I managed to snap part of the (brittle) air box while trying to remove the rock hard rubber for Armorall treatment. I've sourced a 400 airbox, are they the same as the 600 version? 

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: SRX 6 questions- loose gearbox sprocket & airbox
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »
the sprocket play is ok(ish) it fits onto the splines and a keeper washer fits on after it, then turns 1/2 a spline to allow 2 bolts to lock it to the sprocket...so ther will be play on it.

assuming your bike is a twinshock and the 400 the replacement airbox came off is twinshock then you'll be ok

Just be prepared for a real fiddle getting the box out, the carb rubbers are so*s to get out, and you need to get them out to allow the box to come forward to extract it.

Steve H

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
Remove the rear mudguard liner, the rear mastercylinder and a shock absorber, take the airbox cover off, then the airbox can then be removed from the frame without dismantling it. 

leah

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
Thanks guys,  :)